THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR

2001 GMC Jimmy

mik71670

July, 9, 2013 AT 11:53 AM

I replaced my idle air control valve and about to put on a throttle position sensor, do I need to do a relearn procedure? When I put a tps on 05 trailblazer I didn't do a relearn procedure. How would I do one for the TPS if I need to?

July, 9, 2013 AT 12:24 PM

May I ask why your replacing parts? Are you having drivability issues?

mik71670

July, 9, 2013 AT 12:30 PM

Yea. It was idling real high so I replaced the IAC sensor and it helped some. Still idles around 1000rpms. I've cleaned the throttle body. Also I am having some cluster panel problems which is another issue. And it most times it don't crank right up. I did replace the ignition module and ignition coil, rotor and dist cap. My plugs looks good. Just at a loss on what could be causing it to idle high and hard starting.

July, 9, 2013 AT 12:55 PM

I'm not aware of a tps relearn procedure for this vehicle. Do you have the spider fuel system on this vehicle, if so, it is known for problems. Check for correct fuel pressure and that pressure holds for a bit with everything off.

Also, Check for a vacuum leak. Do you have any applicable trouble codes? Some of the national brand autostores will check codes for free, if there are any.

mik71670

July, 27, 2013 AT 7:22 PM

Well after 2 months its says my IAC is bad. When I start the car for the first time each day the RPMs go to 3000. I look at the IAC when it was idling and it was moving when I pushed on the butterfly spring. Also the gasket that goes on top of the throttle body has some chunks missing. Called gm and they don't even carry it. I am wondering if that is causing a vacuum leak. This thing is driving me nuts. HELP!

July, 28, 2013 AT 9:18 AM

With the engine idling, block off the mouth of the throttle body. That should kill the engine. If it doesn't you have a vacuum leak.

mik71670

July, 28, 2013 AT 11:14 AM

What do you mean block off the mouth? Like cover the top of it?

July, 28, 2013 AT 12:14 PM

You may be able to block off the air intake to the air filter. Whatever is easiest.

TPS Sensor Step by Step Replacement Guide