CONSTANT CLICKING UNDER DASH

2001 Ford Ranger

BayouMan

July, 21, 2011 AT 2:29 AM

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT. A few minutes ago I left my fathers house and turned out on the road, then my dash lights started blinking, truck acted like it was going to loose power intermitantly. It was jumping with in and out surges.

After I got home and turned the engine off, there is a not stop clicking under the dash

Now the power locks do not work, it will not crank, headlights or nothing. But there is this continious clicking.

What I found to stop the clicking was to push the brake pedal. So now I have a stick wedged between the brake and the seat so it will not click all night.

I noticed this a few days ago. I got in the truck, turned the ignition to crank and nothing. I heard that clicking under the dash. I think I must have pressed the brake pedal and it cranked.

But tonight I really need some helpful answers.

Thanks in advance to anyone that could give me some info.

Victor

July, 21, 2011 AT 3:03 AM

1ST TEST

YOU AND MR. VOLTMETER

TEST BATTERY VOLTAGE AT BATTERY POSTS

YOUR BATTERY OR ALTERNATOR MAY HAVE BOUGHT THE FARM

IF FOR SOME REASON YOU HAVE VOLTAGE, AT LEAST 12.5 (I DOUBT IT, WITH THE BRAKE LIGHTS ON NOW)

CHECK ALL BATTERY CABLE CONNECTIONS/ CLEAN/ TIGHTEN. ALL THE WAY TO THE STARTER. POS AND NEG. SPARE NONE!

SHOULD YOU INSTALL ANOTHER BATTERY OR GET CRANKED UP

AGAIN, AT THE BATTERY TERMINALS, CHECK VOLTAGE. YOUR ALTERNATOR SHOULD GENERATE AT LEAST 13.8 VOLTS, MAYBE MORE, AT THE BATTERY TERMINALS. OR IT IS NOT PUTTING OUT FOR SOME REASON (MIGHT NOT BE THE ALTERNATOR ITSELF!)

I MAINLY DEAL WITH OLD JEEPS AND OLD FORDS, ON SOME NEWER VEHICLES WITH A DEAD BATTERY, THEY SUGGEST INSTALLING A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY. INSTEAD OF "JUMPING IT OFF". WHICH MAKES THE COMPUTERS NOT FUNCTION CORRECTLY, HAYWIRE REACTIONS AND SUCH OCCUR

I HOPE THIS HELPED

LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES

BayouMan

July, 21, 2011 AT 3:26 AM

After I got home and finally had to wedge that stick between the brake and the seat just to stop that clicking. There was no headlights, no door locks, no brake lights, would not crank, just that contious clicking. But again, with the brake pedal mashed in a bit, no clicking.

Thank You for your information! Any help is most appreciated!

July, 21, 2011 AT 3:51 AM

ROGER!

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT WAS CLICKING. MOST LIKELY A RELAY

IF "JUICE" WAS LOW, ACTIVATING THE BRAKE LIGHTS/ SYSTEM PROBABLY ROBBED IT OF IT'S SMALL, BUT LIFE SUSTAINING VOLTAGE. WITH IT CLICKING IN THE COCKPIT, I WOULD "GUESS" THE CONNECTIONS ARE GOOD. EITHER A BAD BATTERY OR A BATTERY NOT GETTING CHARGED, IS MY HYPOTHESIS.

IF POSSIBLE, SNATCH IT OUT, CHARGE IT, SEE IF IT HOLDS A CHARGE. STILL, TEST VOLTAGE IF YOU GET IT RUNNING. MANY POPULAR AUTO PARTS STORES WILL TEST FOR FREE. IF YOU CAN GET IT THERE, OR EVEN REMOVING BOTH ALTERNATOR AND BATTERY, AND TAKING THEM THERE.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND

BayouMan

July, 21, 2011 AT 3:53 AM

Thank you so much for your information CJ.

BayouMan

July, 22, 2011 AT 2:35 AM

CJ I wanted to thank you for your informatiom and let you know that I put a brand new battery in the truck today, and all is fine.

Thank you!

Bayou Man
Northeast Louisiana

July, 22, 2011 AT 2:43 AM

'MEMBER WHAT I SAID ABOUT TESTING MR. ALTERNATOR!

COME BACK ANYTIME!

BayouMan

July, 22, 2011 AT 2:46 AM

Will Do & Roger Wilco!

Thanks Again!

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front