Rebuild old one or purchase different used car

KHHORIZONS
  • 2001 FORD FOCUS

Which is the more viable option: purchase a used motor for the pre-owned Focus that I currently own or invest in another very economical used car? All was well until I had the oil "topped-off" at a name brand oil chain shop. Shortly thereafter, (while driving)the engine went clankity clankity (very loudly) & immediately shut off. I was later told that:1)one of the cylinders may be damaged & 2)there is about 1 qt. Too much oil showing on the dipstick & water in the engine oil; also, I was told a new motor will be $1100-$1400+; is that about right? (Although I realize that there are no guarantees w/either decision, I'm on a (very limited) income and attempting to make the best possible decision.
Thanks guys.

Friday, September 16th, 2011 AT 6:27 PM

PROMECHANIC
  • 550 POSTS

That estimate seems a little low, but probably close. Make sure and get everything in writing including a detailed estimate of everything that they are doing.
Make sure you know what type of engine they are putting in (used, new, remanufactured, etc.)

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Friday, September 16th, 2011 AT 9:35 PM