REBUILD OLD ONE OR PURCHASE DIFFERENT USED CAR

2001 Ford Focus

khhorizons

September, 16, 2011 AT 6:27 PM

Which is the more viable option: purchase a used motor for the pre-owned Focus that I currently own or invest in another very economical used car? All was well until I had the oil "topped-off" at a name brand oil chain shop. Shortly thereafter, (while driving)the engine went clankity clankity (very loudly) & immediately shut off. I was later told that: 1)one of the cylinders may be damaged & 2)there is about 1 qt. Too much oil showing on the dipstick & water in the engine oil; also, I was told a new motor will be $1100-$1400+; is that about right? (Although I realize that there are no guarantees w/either decision, I'm on a (very limited) income and attempting to make the best possible decision.
Thanks guys.

promechanic

September, 16, 2011 AT 9:35 PM

That estimate seems a little low, but probably close. Make sure and get everything in writing including a detailed estimate of everything that they are doing.
Make sure you know what type of engine they are putting in (used, new, remanufactured, etc.)

Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda CR-V
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn Vue
 Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Accord
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn LS1