BATTERY QUESTION

2001 Ford Escort

KGetz

August, 2, 2012 AT 6:13 AM

I keep asking different people and keep getting different answers from everyone! Now all I need to know, is when the car is running, is the battery powering the car and being constantly recharged by the alternator? I keep getting runaround answers!

Battery Will Not Charge

Flashing Battery Indicator

caradiodoc

August, 2, 2012 AT 8:11 AM

That can get REAL involved and confusing, but the answer is irrelevant. Think of it this way. A large water pump fills the municipal water tower, and water leaves the tower to go to your house. Is the water coming from the pump or the tower? The pump is your car's generator. The tower is the battery, and your house is the car's electrical systems.

Another way of looking at it is the generator supplies the car's electrical systems, and some of the extra capacity goes to recharge the battery after running down from cranking the engine. The battery can also supply the electrical systems when the generator is not running.

Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement