MY 2001 DODGE DAKOTA SEEMS TO BE MISSING IN A ...

• reverend1735
  • 2001 Dodge Dakota

My 2001 dodge dakota seems to be missing in a way and it seems to have a hard time starting every now and again. It's also using antifreeze. Can these ba linked? Or could it be due to a camshaft sensor being bad?

Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 AT 5:36 PM

• JDL

Any applicable trouble codes? How long since a tune-up? Use a gage and check fuel pressure. With hard starting, have helper crank it, while you visually check for spark at the plugs. If spark everywhere, check injector pulse.

Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 AT 5:44 PM
  • reverend1735

It is actually showing 3 codes.
1: camshaft position sensor A circuit.
2: power steering pressure sensor switch circuit
3: small emissions leak at the evap.
It's been probably 4 to 5 years since my last tune up The fuel pressure seems good; I don't have a gauge to check it with but I checked it at the valve at the engine, and there's plenty of pressure. All fluids have been changed. It's just the hard starting and it's using engine coolant, but I really haven't noticed any leaks at or around the radiator.

Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 AT 7:39 PM
  • JDL

The computer has to see the cam and crank sensor signal or it won't start. An intermittent issue can be hard to track down.

Thursday, October 18th, 2012 AT 2:56 PM