2001 Chevrolet Lumina V6

YASERHU
  • 2001 CHEVROLET LUMINA
I am submitting an issue I am facing with Chevrolet Lumina. I am living in Dubai, so this model could be similar to Malibu in USA.

The car is good with a V6 Engine. However I started getting a problem around 3 months ago.

Upon accelerating. I am getting the check engine light. If I DON'T accelerate and try to build up speed very slowly - the check engine light will not show up. But in reality it's impossible not to accelerate. This light will remain until I turn off the car. I am able to normally drive the car but I feel it’s weaker. I’ve also noticed that at around 40 to 50 miles per hour (80 to 90 kms/ hour) the car is rough-i.E when switching from gear 2 to 3 I believe?

I've tested the car many times and these are the codes that I get- but I feel something else is causing them

P0101- MAF
P0327- Knock sensor
P0332- Knock sensor

FYI- not all computer testing companies were able to access the car computer or reset it. Some were successful but not all. They told me this car is like this- it's computer doesn't always allow access.

The latter two codes are more common that the earlier; and I even got the Crankshaft sensor issue sometimes.

My Action- Despite changing the 2 knock sensors twice (first with used ones, followed by new ones) and resetting the car computer the issue is still there.

The mechanic suspected a wiring issue causing the knock sensor circuit, but then he and other mechanics concluded that the wiring is fine.

I've also borrowed a slightly used MAF sensor from my dealer to see if the code does change but the code and the issue was there.

This car doesn't have any Oxygen sensor- and I don't know why. May be the model doesn't have.

One of the mechanics told me try and change the TPS speed sensor, I believe, but I am not ready for further trial and error tests.

Any ideas of what to do?
Yaser

Monday, March 16th, 2015 AT 3:55 AM

There is no code p0332 but ther is a code 336 which it hink you have which is cam sensor. A short to ground on that sensor will cause your knock sensor code as well as any knock that is loud enough to set it off. The cam sensor can also cause the 336 code so my advice would be to replace the cam sensor and see if the other codes are ok. Also check the wiring leading to the where the new sensor hooks up. For maf sensor it needs to be check ed for poor connections and or a short to ground between sensor and pcm. A pro really needs to check this against the map sensor during a freeze frame cycle to read voltages. Also check for a vacuum leak around map sensor. Btw a Lumina is a Lumina not a Malibu two different body styles. See pic for cam sensor and harness.
Monday, March 16th, 2015 AT 8:04 AM
YASERHU
Thank you Hmac300

I am pretty sure there's a code which is 332

There could also have been 336 but I didn't see it because i've only witnessed two computer tests and these are the codes I saw.

I have a very strong feeling that what you've said about the Crank sensor is possibly the cause. I will try your instructions and will advise accordingly

Thank you
Tuesday, March 17th, 2015 AT 7:03 AM
There is no code 332 also it's the cam sensor not crank sensor reread my reply
Tuesday, March 17th, 2015 AT 8:07 AM