2001 Chevrolet Impala Engine Code Lights

STEVE VIDA
  • 2001 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I have had the car since new, and taken very good care of it (normal maintenance.)
Around 225,000 miles, my dash has lit up like a Christmas Tree! Even the air bag light is on. Other than the car jerking from time to time, the car runs fine. My mechanic put it on the diagnostic machine and the following numbers come up: 742, 420, 341, and 128. I there is probably no more than 15,000 miles on the rebuilt transmission, and 30,000 miles on a rebuilt catalytic converter. The car is not burning or leaking oil or antifreeze. Any help you can offer would be much appreciated. I am a senior citizen on a very low income. I cannot afford a new car, and no one seems to know how to fix the problem of the lights coming on. Please help. Many thanks. Steve Vida
Wednesday, August 28th, 2013 AT 1:56 PM

SATURNTECH9
The code P0128 is most likely a bad thermostat the code P0420 is most likely a bad cat the code P0341 ismost likely a ccan sensor code.I will have to look up the code P0742 I believe a torque convertor code. For the code P0128 I would just replace the thermostat the rest of the codes would need to be trouble shouted. They couldn't trouble shoot any of those codes?
Wednesday, August 28th, 2013 AT 2:06 PM
STEVE VIDA
The shop that I go to for minor repairs is a long time friend's radiator shop in Detroit. As one of his mechanics can do the work (he is the one who pulled the codes for me), they thought it best I tried to find out online exactly what these codes were.

The thing is, I am a senior citizen, on social security disability. My income is very limited (this is why I am still driving the 254,000 mile, 12 year old impala unfortunately) and we are trying to save the time on labor. I have had bad luck with mechanics in the past misdiagnosing what the light warnings are, put in 02 sensors only to learn that the sensor was the wrong one, which did not correct the problem.

Let me know how much more you would like me to donate in order to guide me. I know the mechanic is capable. I just need to make an attempt at pointing him in the right direction.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I wish you were in my area!

Thanks again.

Steve Vidakovich
406-302-9993
Wednesday, August 28th, 2013 AT 5:37 PM
SATURNTECH9
I wish I was in your area I would take could care of you and your car. As far as donating its what you can afford/how much etc.I will never pressure or ask anyone to donate money. For the code P0128 that's a thermostat bellow regulating temp. All the ones I have seen are bad thermostat so I would replace the thermostat. What size engine do you have?
+1
Wednesday, August 28th, 2013 AT 5:51 PM