CAR WILL RUN FINE TILL YOU SHUT IT OFF AND WHEN YOU GO TO START IT BACK IT'LL JUST CRANK TILL IT SETS A WHILE

• Dempsey Dewayne Smith
  • 2001 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

Like I said it will run fine for a month or two or three and then all of a sudden you shut it off to go into the store and come back out and it'll just crank and after a while it'll start back

Friday, May 25th, 2012 AT 7:15 PM

• Fixitmr

Did you try holding pedal down some/all?

-1
Friday, May 25th, 2012 AT 8:33 PM
  • Dempsey Dewayne Smith

Yes, it will just crank and then in a little while it'll start and then it may not do it again for a couple of months.

Friday, May 25th, 2012 AT 8:43 PM
  • Djcl
  • 786 POSTS

You will need to see what your loosing spark or fuel @ the time of the no start

Friday, May 25th, 2012 AT 8:46 PM
  • Dempsey Dewayne Smith

Could it possibly be a fuel pump and just do that every couple of months. I've been told that and several other things.

Friday, May 25th, 2012 AT 8:47 PM
  • Djcl
  • 786 POSTS

Yes it could be a fuel pump. It could have a bad spot in the motor. When the pump lands on it it has trouble turning. When this happens try taping under the fuel tank to see if you can get the pump to move off that spot. Do thid while some one is cranking the engine

Friday, May 25th, 2012 AT 8:52 PM
  • Hiredshoot4u

I have a 1997 chevy cavalier and I had the same problems. Does it seem to happen when it is cold outside? In the winter months? I had to replace the whole computer mechanism or something like that. It was $800. Now I am having a different problem. It stalls when in low gear or Idle. If you have an answer to this it would be helpful. I think is is the timing.

Thursday, March 24th, 2016 AT 4:01 PM