CODES

2001 Cadillac Deville

PoorBoy

June, 8, 2011 AT 4:16 AM

I recently bought a 2001 Deville with 173K miles, and I'm willing to buy the parts needed, but I need to do the work myself. I have 5 codes and the one I'm most concerned about is P0741. I know it's a TCC code, but I have no idea what is involved. I have done a lot of work on cars, but I've never torn into a trans. At the same time, I want to do it myself. So any details you can tell me would be greatly appreciated. I also don't want to do this more than once. So please tell me everything I should do together. The other 4 codes are: P0410, P0420, P0449, and P1860.

Code P0449

3.5l - Code P0449

factoryjack

June, 8, 2011 AT 4:54 AM

For what it takes to remove the transmission, you do only want to do it once. P0741 is TCC stuck off, and it is due to excessive TCC slip speed. This is a common problem with this era of Cadillacs. What you are going to need is a torque converter, and all the seals for the TCC hydraulic circuit, most critical is the teflon seals that are in the channel plate. It is best to get a complete seal/gasket kit, as you will pay close to about half of it's price, or more, to piece all the seals together. Replace the TCC solenoid, as it is probably the cause of the P1860 as well. The engine is going to need supported with a fixture from above, as you will be removing the frame, to then remove the transmission. The two 18mm bellhousing bolts on the top are well hidden under the water pump housing and wire harness, so you will need to gain access to them. You can remove the upper valve body, and pump assembly in individual units with the side cover removed. Don't separate the pump exposing the gears, or at least if you do, pay attention to marks on the gears. If they are installed incorrectly, you will break pump shafts for no apparent reason. As far as the other codes, p0410 relates to secondary air injection, could be air pump connector, air pump, or vacuum lines in most cases. P0420 is catalyst efficiency, and usually if it is present or returning, you may need a catalyst. Also, if you have oil leaking from the lower crankcase, you may opt to make that correction at the same time.

PoorBoy

June, 8, 2011 AT 1:12 PM

A big thank you. One other question is the electronic dash is acting up. It flashes out sometimes and the gas gauge will read empty one minute and full the next. I don't even know where to start with that one. Any ideas? Thanks again.

factoryjack

June, 8, 2011 AT 3:36 PM

Not certain on the cluster flashing out, there are fuel gauge concerns that usually relate to faulty sending unit cards.

PoorBoy

June, 8, 2011 AT 5:02 PM

Will it be OK to drive it for the next month before repairing the trans, or will that cause more damage?

factoryjack

June, 9, 2011 AT 12:07 AM

It won't cause any damage, it is basically letting you know that damage would occur if it were to continue operating the TCC, therefore it is disabled.

cadieman

June, 9, 2011 AT 1:30 AM

WHEN THE CAR IS FULL IT WILL FLASHS E UNTIL U DRIVE IT AND THE GAUGE READS PROPERLY. REMOVE THE FUEL TANK AND REPLACE THE SENDING UNIT AND THE FUEL PUMP WHILE YOUR IN THERE. THE PUMP HOOKS TO THE SENDING UNIT. DRIVE IT ITS OK TOO.

Oxygen Sensor Replacement Honda Civic 1996-20
Fuel Pump Replacement