ENGINE CODES

• jckman40car
  • 2001 BMW 330ci
  • 147 miles

2001 Bmw 330ci 148k.2 check engine codes P0741-Torque Convertor CKT Performance or stuck off.

2nd P0128 Coolant Temp Below regulating temp. This code has not yet come up but its there. How bad is the first code

Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 2:01 AM

• cup1981
  • 137 posts

It could be something as minor as a low fluid condition or even low voltage from the battery causing the issue. It could also be a failure in the transmission.

The safest bet is to take it immediately to a reputable facility to have it properly checked out. The longer you drive it in this condition, the more likely you are to cause serious issues. If oine shop says you need a new torque converter or a rebuild, make certain to get a second opinion before having it completed, maybe even try a few BMW specialists.

Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 11:11 AM
  • jckman40car

Also I was wondering if I could put Mobil 1 syn 75/90 in the rearend. Instead of the redline 75/90

Friday, March 4th, 2011 AT 12:29 AM
  • cup1981
  • 137 posts

Your rear end will be just fine with Mobil 1 Syn 75/90. Its properties are nearly identical to that of the Redline oil.

Friday, March 4th, 2011 AT 8:04 AM
  • jckman40car

So can I use mobil 1 syn 75/90 in my transmission also? If so how much does it take?

Friday, March 4th, 2011 AT 5:23 PM
  • Dr. Hagerty

No you cannot use that fluid in the transmission. The extraction of generic OBDII faults does not always show the fault, the OBDII scans can be misleading. I recommend having the scan performed with the proprietary BMW scanning equipment to be sure of the diagnostic.

Friday, March 4th, 2011 AT 9:42 PM
  • jckman40car

What kind of Tranny fluid can I use?

Can I use Redline D4 ATF or Amsoil ATF
Can I put the Additives in it also

Saturday, March 5th, 2011 AT 7:57 PM
  • Dr. Hagerty

Use the factory fluid, and be prepared to pay, its expensive.

Sunday, March 6th, 2011 AT 9:08 PM