HOW DOES A FAULTY TEMPERATURE SENSOR CAUSE MY CAR TO ACCELERATE WITHOUT INPUT AND REDLINE WHEN STOPPED?

2000 Volvo S40

Misslyss0829

April, 4, 2012 AT 11:17 PM

My Volvos fan was constantly running and outside temp reading seemed high most days, then I started having acceleration issues. My car would take off without me touching the gas. It would even accelerate when I was on the brake. Then I restarted it and the car instantly red lined. Brought it to mechanic twice and they finally figured out it was due to a faulty temp sensor. How does that work? And why would that make my car accelerate? Very scary. Should I replace ETM as well? Please help

Wrenchtech

April, 4, 2012 AT 11:59 PM

Because it's telling the computer that it's 40 degrees below zero outside and the computer richens the fuel mixture and raises the RPMs accordingly although what you are describing sounds too extreme.

Misslyss0829

April, 5, 2012 AT 12:05 AM

So this has nothing to do with the throttle?

Wrenchtech

April, 5, 2012 AT 12:08 AM

Who said that? I just said that the computer will raise the RPMs because it thinks it's real cold outside.

JIS001

April, 5, 2012 AT 3:17 AM

Has nothing to do with the throttle. This model does not have the electronic throttle module so there is no "ETM". Still a cable on this. But yes like Wrenchtech says the faulty reading will cause the computer to open up the idle air conbtrol valve to increase the RPMS to try and warm up the engine since it thinks it is very cold.