DO YOU NEED THE FRONT WHEEL WELL SPLASH GUARDS (THEY ARE PLASTIC) ON A CAR OR IS IT OK TO DRIVE WITH OUT THEM?

2000 Toyota Echo

ToyotaGabe

September, 15, 2011 AT 11:51 AM

I no longer have the splash guards that go inside the wheel wells on the front of my car. I priced them and they are $86.00 each, is this something I absolutely need? I had run over some rolled up carpet on the freeway and it tore the bottom part of my bumper (which I've just ordered from Toyota) and as the splash guards which became torn were rubbing on my tires so I cut them off so as not to ruin my tires. I would appreciate an answer from someone not trying to sell me a part.
Thank you for your time,
Gabe

Wheel Assembly

Left Wheel Drags

mhpautos

September, 15, 2011 AT 1:02 PM

They are there to keep excess water and the possibility of foreign objects being thrown up into the engine bay, also to some degree they help with directing air flow around the engine for cooling, if they were off my car I would be replacing them, may be a cheaper option is getting them from a wreckers they will be a lot cheaper there.

ToyotaGabe

September, 15, 2011 AT 1:40 PM

Your candid and timely response to my question was greatly appreciated as was your suggestion to look for the part at a wrecking yard.
Sincerely, Gabe

Upper Control Arm Replacement
Safely Changing Your Spare Tire