RESIDUAL BURNING SMELL WHEN STOPPED AT AN INTERSECTION

• Libby T
  • 2000 Subaru Outback

RE: 00 Subaru Outback Wagon: For the last two days when I stop at an intersection or stop the car to get out and park it and it gives off a faint residual burning smell, almost like rubber burn smell. The car has 66,000 actual miles, a new clutch and brakes at 11,000 miles ago and seems to motor right along, no problems noted or lights coming on. The temp gauge is steady where it usually runs. The smell goes away right quick after the car is stopped and shut off for a while too. I do not smell the smell when I am driving. Any ideas on what area to look at or what might be wrong?

Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012 AT 12:34 AM

• ASEMaster6371

Oil leaks are common and the exhaust system is below the valve covers.

Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012 AT 12:36 AM
  • Libby T

Thank you so much. It is a beautiful old car in very good condition. Someone at the shop mentioned that there was a slight oil leak the last time I did have the oil changed. Maybe that is what is wrong. I will take it in to the shop and see what they say. Kudos to you for helping out a person to possibly look in a direction for a possible repair. I appreciate your help.

Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012 AT 12:44 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

No problem, we are here to help

Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012 AT 12:45 AM