I RAN ENGINE OUT OF OIL

2000 Saturn SL2

gacosta6

May, 20, 2012 AT 9:10 PM

My car ran out of oil and stopped running, but the engine was still on until I turned off the car, is there any way I can save my car?

saturntech9

May, 20, 2012 AT 9:13 PM

Usually when you run those engines out of oil or low on oil and sieze them. What happens is one of the connecting rod bearings starts to spin then grab siezing the engine. You pull the oil pan off and pop off the connecting rod bearings and see how much damage there is.

gacosta6

May, 20, 2012 AT 9:39 PM

Will my car be able to work again?

saturntech9

May, 20, 2012 AT 10:08 PM

Without getting in there no way to tell even if I had your car in front of me I would still have to do some tear down to see what happened. More then likely your best bet would be a used engine. Unless you want to pop the connecting rod caps off and see if there is any crank damage. Then band aid it together.

gacosta6

May, 21, 2012 AT 5:10 PM

Okay. I put oil in the car and turned it on. The engine was rattling, and started to sound smoother, but then all the oil started to leak out.

saturntech9

May, 21, 2012 AT 5:37 PM

So it sounded like the rod was knocking?Also where was the oil leaking from?So the engine didnt sieze while driving?It just stopped running then would crank over but not start?You said you filled the engine with oil. How many quarts of oil did it take to get it to the fill mark on the dipstick?

Engine Class - Autoshop 101
Engine Oil Change and Filter GMC Sierra