No. Both vehicles have voltage regulators as part of their charging systems to prevent overcharging the battery. You CAN easily overcharge a battery with a home battery charger. But with jumper cables, it's just as though your battery was bolted into that other vehicle. The only exception is if that other vehicle had a shorted voltage regulator but then that owner would have been having problems of their own.
If your battery melted to anything it is more likely there's a problem with your car. That overheating and melting doesn't happen quickly. It will take many hours or days. You didn't say what "broke down" means but it suggests there is some other underlying problem that hasn't been diagnosed or addressed yet.
Friday, January 11th, 2013 AT 10:38 PM