HOW DO I KNOW IF I NEED TO REPLACE MY WATERPUMP

2000 Saturn SL1

tbenson1987

September, 6, 2012 AT 8:42 PM

My coolant is not staying in as long as it should. My car starts to run hot after about 35 minutes and when I am stopped at a light that is when my temperature gauge starts to go up to hot

saturntech9

September, 6, 2012 AT 9:19 PM

Is your radiator fan working? Also if your AC works turn it on does the radiator fan come on with the AC?

tbenson1987

September, 7, 2012 AT 1:36 AM

Yes the fan is working and when I turn on the act it blows cold and the fan comes on

tbenson1987

September, 7, 2012 AT 1:38 AM

*a/c

saturntech9

September, 7, 2012 AT 1:39 AM

How high is the gauge getting?Also ia the radiator fan on when the gauge is reading hot?

tbenson1987

September, 7, 2012 AT 5:14 AM

It stays a little over the half point and if I drive it long periods at a time it starts to hit the red when I'm stopped at lights. Most of the time it will stay at half as long as the car is moving

saturntech9

September, 7, 2012 AT 3:31 PM

If it will only overheat heat while idling then it sounds like the radiator fan is not working. So the radiator fan that is behind the radiator in the engine compartment turns on with the ac on and blows tons of air?

tbenson1987

September, 7, 2012 AT 5:27 PM

Whe the air is on the radiator fan does come on.

saturntech9

September, 7, 2012 AT 6:53 PM

Then I would start by replacing the coolant temp sensor sounds like its not reading correctly and turning the fan on at the correct temo. Also inspect the inside of the connector to it if the terminals are blue or green instead of silver then you will need to replace the connector also.I have reolaced tons of them its a common failure.I have owned my 1999 saturn sl2 for 6 years and have replaced four of them so far.

tbenson1987

September, 7, 2012 AT 7:22 PM

Ok thanks

saturntech9

September, 7, 2012 AT 7:34 PM

Keep me posted.

Water Pump Replacement Made Easy
Heater Hose Replacement Chevrolet Camaro
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler