CLUTCH HYDRAULICS PROBLEM

• khabibul35
  • 2000 Saturn SL1

2000 Saturn SL (5 spd - Manual): I recently purchased the car and had problems shifting a few days later. Symptoms pointed to hydraulics. When I took off the slave cylinder I noticed the previous owner added about 1/3" to pushrod via jerry-rigging. I replaced the system with an aftermarket unit from O'Reilliy's but now I can't shift. 3 exchanges later I'm having the same problem - insufficient fork travel (10 mm actual vs 12.5 mm requited MINIMUM). Is it the hydraulics or could a bent clutch fork/throw out bearing be causing this?

Sunday, July 22nd, 2012 AT 12:19 AM

• saturntech9

So are you replacing the whole clutch master/slave cylinder as a complete sealed set?Or just the slave cylinder?

Sunday, July 22nd, 2012 AT 12:44 AM
  • saturntech9

Also another problem is the clutch pressure plate gets worn bent fingers so the clutch wont fully release even with good hydralics.

Sunday, July 22nd, 2012 AT 12:46 AM
  • khabibul35

I bought the entire master/slave assembly as recommended to replace the original. All 3 units were the entire assembly, none have created the necessary fork travel distance. Is it just a faulty part or could something else be at play here?

Sunday, July 22nd, 2012 AT 12:48 AM
  • khabibul35

As far as what happens when the engine is on. If I'm in Neutral, and push the clutch all the way in, I still can't put it into gear. If I start the car in 1st it'll jump forward and die once the e-break stops forward motion. That to me seems to show the clutch is grabbing fine, just no clearance to get in gear.

Sunday, July 22nd, 2012 AT 12:53 AM
  • saturntech9

I doubt 3 clutch master/slave assemblys are bad. Sounds like a bad pressure plate to me.

Sunday, July 22nd, 2012 AT 12:58 AM
  • khabibul35

How does a pressure plate affect fork travel?

Sunday, July 22nd, 2012 AT 1:13 AM
  • saturntech9

How can you measure actual fork travel when the slave cylinder is twisted into the clutch bell housing and its all sealed up?Unless you actually pull the transmission back and measure it that way.

Sunday, July 22nd, 2012 AT 1:55 AM
  • khabibul35

There's an access hole next to the slave cylinder which allows you to measure fork travel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=099IRHql-qc

Sunday, July 22nd, 2012 AT 2:00 AM
  • saturntech9

Looks like there sticking something between slave cylinder seal?I have worked for saturn for over 16yrs and have never measured the fork travel. If the hydralics were good it was a bad clutch pressure plate not releasing all the way. But I only used factory clutch master/slave assemblys. That all we had was factory parts at the dealer.

Sunday, July 22nd, 2012 AT 7:09 AM