SHUTTING OFF.

2000 Saturn

mramirez80

September, 13, 2012 AT 12:23 PM

My 2000 Saturn is shutting off every time I come to a stop or even slow down. In the morning the RPMS run crazy but after I leave the car off for about an hr it will run fine the rest of the day till the next morning. Or even if I have it off all day and it's in the middle of the day it will do it to. Basically every time I turn it on after it's been off overnight. I have replaced the fuel filter, starter, spark plugs, and battery, all have not fixed the problem. I also noticed some smoke coming from the hood and the engine was really hot, although the gauge says it's still cool. I got it checked at Auto Zone and the mass air flow sensor came up. I am told it is $200? So I wanted to make sure that's what it is before I buy it. I am a nursing student with very limited funds I can't afford this right now : / Please help.

Wrenchtech

September, 13, 2012 AT 1:21 PM

You have to fix your known problems first, regardless of whether they are the issue you are looking for or not. Before changing the sensor, make sure there are no holes or leaks in the intake snorkel. Let me warn you about one thing right now. DO NOT use a reman or generic brand sensor on this. Use NEW DELCO only. I had one of these just yesterday and put 4 new sensors on it and a problem with all of them until I bought a new Delco. Even a reman Delco was bad.

mramirez80

September, 13, 2012 AT 2:44 PM

Ok but I don't know how to check for holes or leaks what is an intake snorkel?

saturntech9

September, 13, 2012 AT 2:48 PM

Just to add to this one what is the exact code number you have not code description?It will be the letter P followed by a four digit number.

mramirez80

September, 13, 2012 AT 11:56 PM

Idk it was a while back I'm not sure he gave me a print out or anything.

saturntech9

September, 14, 2012 AT 4:28 AM

The codes would really help to help you diagnose the car.

mramirez80

September, 14, 2012 AT 4:37 PM

Ok I will get it checked out again and let you know.

saturntech9

September, 14, 2012 AT 6:46 PM

Alright thanks please get the exact code numbers you have not code descriptions.

Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma