CAN YOU BYPASS THE OIL COOLER INSTEAD OF ...

2000 Saturn L300

Bvaughn

December, 12, 2012 AT 2:33 PM

Can you bypass the oil cooler instead of replacing with out damaging or staving the top end from oil

saturntech9

December, 12, 2012 AT 4:17 PM

If the oil cooler is leaking oil into the coolant you need replace it not bypass it I would get the Cadillac catera oil cool to replace it they use the same engine in the car.

Bvaughn

December, 12, 2012 AT 5:30 PM

Does it provide any lubrication to the top end?

saturntech9

December, 12, 2012 AT 5:39 PM

No it it cools the oil in the engine think of it as a oil filled radiator submerged in coolant. The oil flows thru it and thru its fins and being submerged in coolant cools the oil in the engine.

Bvaughn

December, 12, 2012 AT 5:45 PM

Ok thank you I was just trying to avoid pulling the intake to replace the oil cooler, I did bypass it but now it's acting like its starving the top end with oil. I pluged the supply and return lines to the cooler so maybe it's not getting any oil circulation.

saturntech9

December, 12, 2012 AT 6:02 PM

Oh you plugged them not good sounds like thats your problem best to put a new one in. That engine was designed to use that oil cooler you dont want to damage the engine.

Air Filter Replacement
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Air Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla