TRANSMISSION LEAK

2000 Saturn L100

lalfan

2000 saturn ls1 manual trans. Had the seal changed on the driver side. It started leaking again, so they changed shaft and seal. Then leaked again and put in another seal. Now it is starting to leak again. Dont know what to do. Any ideas. Thanks

saturntech9

When they install the new seal and there putting the axle back in the transmission are they using a seal protector?

lalfan

Im not sure, this a pretty good shop I have been taking it to. It usally lasts about 3 or 4 months then starts leaking again. This time its been about 2 weeks. It dont leak bad but it leaks. Thanks

saturntech9

Well there is something strange going on. You say they replaced the shaft that goes in there too?Are they sure it's not the transmission case leaking?

lalfan

January, 17, 2011 AT 12:05 AM

Ive been told you can scar the case where the seal goes in and make it leak to. They say its not. We asked saturn about the bearing inside the case, if it was bad and lets the shaft move to much. They say those bearings inside the case dont go bad. The shaft does move some but the other side does to and dont leak. They put a saturn seal in this last time, trying to get a good fit. Still leaks thanks

saturntech9

As far the scaring goes thats true if it was damaged it could damage the new seal going in and leak. That transmission differential bearing your asking about I haven't seen go bad I have worked for saturn dealer's many year's. But anything is possible it sounds like your going to have to take it to the dealer to get a second option and get it fixed so it stop's leaking.

lalfan

Saturn in omaha ne said it would cost about 6 or 700 to replace shaft and seal. They said a factory shaft and seal would be a better fit than aftermarket parts. I dont know. Hate to spend that kind of money. What if it leaks when they get done, will they stand behind it? Is the seal submerged in fluid? And how low can it get before something can get damaged?

saturntech9

January, 18, 2011 AT 9:19 AM

I don't know about the better fit/seal with the factory axle there is fluid behind the seal and as you drive it get's splashed up on the back side of the seal. The place that keep's fixing the leak doesn't have a warranty?They should do something for you they fixed the leak and keep's coming back. Saturn has a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty which ever come's first on most of there part's and labor some is longer.I'm not going to give a answer on how low the transmission fluid can get before the transmission get's damaged. That is a loaded question.

lalfan

They fixed it for free last time. I have spent about 450 before. He said the seal was submerged in oil. Is it to full and leaking or is that even possible.

saturntech9

I posted a diagram the number 2 call out is the fill and level plug when the fluid reaches that plug the transmission is full. You can over fill anything if you try hard enough. SO what is the shop that keep's fixing it explanation of why it keep's leaking?

lalfan

They have no idea why it is leaking.