POSSIBLE BRAKE / TIRE CHANGE ISSUE?

2000 Oldsmobile Alero

njoy_life_2

March, 21, 2011 AT 3:26 PM

Last week I replaced my front tires on my Olds Alero. Some noise was there right away, but today, (within 150 miles of the tire change), it is suddenly extremely loud and bad, like my front brakes are grinding metal to metal.
A mechanic told me the brakes were fine just a few months back.
What can you tell me?

fixitmr

March, 21, 2011 AT 3:31 PM

Have that wheel and suspension looked at. Could be just a coincedenatl bad wheel bearing. Grab topp of tire and pull back and forth. If there is ANY play/noise you got a bad/loose wheel/wheel bearing.

Wrenchtech

March, 21, 2011 AT 3:32 PM

Have it checked ASAP. They could have left the wheels loose or something else could be coming apart.

njoy_life_2

March, 21, 2011 AT 6:53 PM

Thank you both so very much. I didn't think about it before, but you provide what, at times, is likely a life-saving service!

njoy_life_2

March, 22, 2011 AT 1:09 AM

Just an 'fyi', I went to the garage, after a quick stop at the parts store for brake pads, (just in case)
Good thing I did, they were needed, plus one of the caliper 'sliders' was stuck.
I adore my mechanic!

Safely Changing Your Spare Tire
Replace Tie Rod End
Upper Control Arm Replacement