WHICH RADIATOR DO I GET

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse

kanakanaka77@gmail.com

April, 6, 2011 AT 12:55 AM

I have a crack in my radiator and need a new one. Here's the weird part. I no longer have a the model info (month and year of make) on my drivers side door frame, so no one seems to be able to help me with a sale. I've read that it really makes no difference whether I get the one for automatic or manual transmission but I have no clue. Outside of calling the dealership what are my options if any?

caradiodoc

April, 6, 2011 AT 1:26 AM

As long as the physical size is correct, it doesn't matter. The radiator for an automatic has a cooler built into one tank for the transmission. You just don't use those ports if you don't need them.

You only have to use the one for an automatic if you have an automatic transmission.

kanakanaka77@gmail.com

April, 6, 2011 AT 4:14 AM

Thanks again!

kanakanaka77@gmail.com

April, 6, 2011 AT 4:12 PM

By "not using the ports" I'm assuming that means I'd have to secure them so they're not open? How do I do that?

caradiodoc

April, 6, 2011 AT 5:34 PM

Nope, just ignore them. They are the two ends of a metal tube, nothing more.

kanakanaka77@gmail.com

April, 7, 2011 AT 12:04 AM

PROBLEM!
I reinstalled the radiator exactly as I removed it, refilled it with fluid and within 5 minutes of starting the car it started overheating. Thermostat? Upper hose is extremely hot and under a great deal of pressure. Bottom hose. Cold and under no pressure. Again, thermostat? Where is the thermostat and how do I check it? If this isn't the culprit what could it be?

kanakanaka77@gmail.com

April, 7, 2011 AT 3:31 AM

Ok so I replaced the thermostat anyway, upper hose has less pressure and heat, but car is still close to the overheat line when driving at slow speeds. In addition my hearter no longer puts out heat? One thing after another lol

caradiodoc

April, 7, 2011 AT 8:53 AM

There might be a real easy fix. (Fingers crossed). Remove the hoses from the radiator and check the tubes for a plastic plug that was supposed to be removed. I saw a very experienced mechanic miss one because it was painted over and he slid the hose right over it.

kanakanaka77@gmail.com

April, 7, 2011 AT 5:06 PM

Unfortunately that wasn't it : (. Next step?

caradiodoc

April, 7, 2011 AT 8:23 PM

After rereading everything, you might have an air pocket that has to be bled out. Thermostats will not open in response to hot air; they have to be hit with hot coolant.

Look around the thermostat housing, (under the thermostat, not above it), for a screwed-in plug or temperature sensor that can be removed long enough to bleed the air out. You might have to add some coolant to the radiator to bring the level up in the engine.

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Hose Replacement - Upper - Chevrolet
Upper and Lower Radiator Hose Replacement
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser