1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
2. Disconnect battery negative cable from battery and properly isolate to prevent accidental reconnection.
3. Remove the rear brake disc.
4. Remove the adjuster by removing the brake shoe return spring and the adjusting spring.
A sharp-pointed tool such as a scratch awl is useful in removing and installing the springs.
5. Remove the parking brake actuator.
6. Push the parking brake shoes toward each other, then pull the parking brake actuator out. Unhook the parking brake cable end.
7. Remove the brake shoe hold-down springs.
8. Remove the parking brake shoe and linings.
1. Inspect the components for excessive wear or damage, and install new components as required.
2. Using anti-seize lubricant, lubricate the brake shoe contact point before installation of the rear brake shoes.
3. Lubricate the adjusting screw threads with anti-seize lubricant.
4. Install the parking brake shoe and linings.
5. Install the parking brake shoe hold-down springs.
6. Connect the parking brake cable and actuator.
7. Using a suitable brake adjusting gauge, set the rear brake shoe and lining diameter to 0.020 inch (0.5 mm) less than the inside diameter of the drum portion of the brake disc.
8. Reinstall the brake rotor.
9. Check the parking brake for normal operation and adjust parking brake cable tension if necessary.
10. Install wheel and tire assemble and lower vehicle.
11. Reconnect negative battery cable.
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 4:17 AM