MY TRUCK WILL NOT STAY ON BOUGHT A NEW ECM N DOES NOT WORK

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Psilvas80

December, 26, 2011 AT 11:36 PM

None of the guages will read. All the lights are on. The autozone diagnostics said it was the ecm. Bought one from the junkyard and now my jeep wont even stay on.

saturntech9

December, 26, 2011 AT 11:45 PM

What code did you have the exact code nuber that said it was a bad ecm?Sounds more like a body control module issue thats what cntrols all the gauges etc. What does it do now?Just start for a seconds and then die?

December, 26, 2011 AT 11:52 PM

Did the battery got disconnected-maybe the computer is not targetting the idle speed thru the IACV-

Psilvas80

December, 26, 2011 AT 11:57 PM

Ya before I put in the new ecm none of the guages would read and all the lights would stay on and the truck would still drive. Now with the new ecm it does not even want to stay on. So then I put the old one back on (like a dummy) and still the truck does not want to stay on. As for the code I dont have that anymore. Thank you for your fast response.

saturntech9

December, 27, 2011 AT 12:02 AM

So is the security light on solid or flashing?

Psilvas80

December, 27, 2011 AT 12:15 AM

The only gauges that stay on are battery, seatbelt, abs, airbag, check gauges. I have disconnected the battery to try n reset the system but does not work. I also did the door lock on drivers side turned back twice. So the security ight is not on at all even when I did leave the key for everything in the dash to register.

saturntech9

December, 27, 2011 AT 12:22 AM

It would really help to know what the exact code you have is?The exact number would probably lead us to the area of the problem. Otherwise this is going to be a very long and drug out diagnoses.

Psilvas80

December, 27, 2011 AT 12:32 AM

Ugh. Ive searched for it in my truck and house. What I do remember for sure is that the guy told me it was the ecm and for me to replace it with them would be 259.00 for the computer to be replaced. So pretty much my purchase of the ecm from a junk yard was a bad call huh. I figured that. But was trying to do something to fix my only vehicle. Would a pic help of my dashboard?

saturntech9

December, 27, 2011 AT 12:36 AM

No a pic of the dash board wouldnt help that code would really help though. Amazon has a basic code reader for 22.

December, 27, 2011 AT 3:56 AM

NOT REAL UP ON THE HIGH TECH STUFF YET. BUT I TRY TO LEARN!

WOULD HIS JUNK YARD ECM HAVE TO BE PROGRAMMED AT THE DEALER--OR IF NUMBERS ARE THE SAME, IT "SHOULD" WORK, JUST BY SWAPPING?

saturntech9

December, 27, 2011 AT 4:18 AM

Most ecms when you get them new dealer parts store etc they have to be programed with a calibration file. When you get them used there already programed so if you get the correct one it should work. The scarey part is it wont run with the oringal ecm. With the gauge issues etc it looks like more like a body control issue which can cause a no start. Thats why I want the codes he was talking about. Hope you had a great christmas medic.