I broke a bolt in the thermostat housing on the intake

BRANDYLYNNM
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS
While replacing the thermostat in my 2000 Ford Taurus, the bolt broke off into the part that the housing hooks up to(not sure what it is) then while it was being drilled out the part that the bolt goes into snapped off of it. Not sure what the next step in getting this repaired would be, is that the intake manifold that goes into and how can this be fixed?
Monday, November 14th, 2011 AT 3:21 AM

Yes, it is the intake. I don't know how big of a piece broke, so you may want to have a welder take a look at it. If it isn't repairable, then your only choice is to replace the intake.
+1
Monday, November 14th, 2011 AT 5:23 AM
BRANDYLYNNM
It is the top upside down U shaped piece where the bolt would go in, I was told it can be fixed w/ jb weld, what do u think?
-1
Monday, November 14th, 2011 AT 6:19 PM
SHADOWMAN
JB weld is amazing stuff. I used it to fill in a threaded hole that retains the timing cover of my 1992 Taurus because I broke off a mounting bolt in and drilled in an angle, bad thing.

I filled the hole with JB weld, covered it up with masking tape and waited a day for it to harden. Next day I mounted the timeing cover, used a drill bit long enough to go through the timing cover and into the engine block, tapped the hole for a couple of Helicoil inserts after removing the timing cover, job was done and holding.

If you can, use the thermostat housing as a guide to drill into the intake manifold, it'll help you stay straight. You may have to buy a Helicoil kit of it but it's worth it. Better than paying for a new or even used intake manifold and all the other work involved to replace it.

Good luck.
+1
Monday, November 14th, 2011 AT 7:28 PM
BRANDYLYNNM
Thanks, we got the jb weld on now and letting it sit over night so hopefully tomorrow we will be able to put it back together, thanks for the feedback :)
Tuesday, November 15th, 2011 AT 3:07 AM
I hope it works. I'm a fan of it for a temporary fix only.
Tuesday, November 15th, 2011 AT 3:41 AM
SHADOWMAN
Let us know how you did.
Tuesday, November 15th, 2011 AT 6:54 AM
BRANDYLYNNM
Well the jb weld did not work as soon as we put any kind of pressure on it to put the bolt in it came back off so we put in bolt with a large washer on the end to hold it tight against the thermostat housing and I cant believe it but its holding. Lol. So as long as it holds we can put off paying for a new manifold or having someone weld it on. Thanks for the tips :)
+1
Tuesday, November 15th, 2011 AT 11:44 PM
I was afraid that would happen. It seals and will hold something together, but has no tensile strength. Regardless, I'm glad you got it back together and hope the new fix hold up for you.

Let us know if you have questions in the future.
Tuesday, November 15th, 2011 AT 11:54 PM