DAMAGED PISTON HEAD AND VALVES

2000 Ford Focus

skyrat1991

March, 11, 2014 AT 3:48 PM

Hi there. My little Focus suddenly stopped working a few weeks ago. The break down mechanic said that the timing belt had gone. After getting the car home I examined the timing belt myself and it was fine. A little worn but still holding strong and so were the tensioners.
The problems was when I tried removed the spark-plugs. The plug that was in cylinder 1 had a bent head. Looking through the hole I could see an impact mark on the piston head and a small disc like object next to it, (a valve head). The timing belt has not gone so how could this have happened. The other cylinders seem fine as well. Also, is she repairable?
Its a Petrol 1.8 16v Zetec
Thank you for any advice you can offer
Anna

March, 11, 2014 AT 8:29 PM

YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE "TIMING BELT" NOT THE "SERPENTINE BELT"?

. IF YOU ARE CORRECT. MAYBE THE TIMING BELT STRIPPED OR JUMPED COGS ON THE SHAFTS. BUT STILL REMAINS IN PLACE (NOW OUT OF TIME)

MANY VEHICLE'S OWNER'S MANUALS STRESS CHANGING THE TIMING BELT AT 60,000 MILE INTERVALS. SOME MORE. SOME LESS

mhpautos

March, 12, 2014 AT 2:33 AM

May have dropped a valve, you will have to see if the engine turns over by hand and see if the valve train still works, if not the timing belt has failed, regardless you will have to pull the head and see what damage has occurred, but it sounds like it may be beyond economical repair and a second hand engine may be the best option.

skyrat1991

March, 12, 2014 AT 8:46 AM

Hi there.
I have been unable to remove the lower timing belt cover due to a rounded bolt so I cant see whether its all in good condition. I can turn the engine but as soon as it hits about 11 o'clock it stops dead. If I turn it counter clockwise it gets to the same point and does the same. Through the sparkplug hole I can see what must be one of the valve heads laying on top of the piston. It looks as if it broke off and the piston rammed it into the sparkplug, crushing its gap and denting the piston head.
When it happened there was no indication that anything was wrong. No bang, shudder or anything. It just wouldn't turn over. The engine is a high miler but it has always felt as tight as a drum. Hopefully its just cylinder 1 that is damaged. I will remove the head to see what condition the cam shafts are and then the piston cylinders later this week. Would it be possible to just replaces the valves and repair or replace the piston head?
Thank you
Anna

mhpautos

March, 12, 2014 AT 1:12 PM

A lot of work and expense cheaper to fit a second hand engine, but you can fix it if you want to. You can just do one cyl if you feel that that is all that it needs.

Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars
Air Filter Replacement