WHEN TURNING ON AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL THERE IS A HUM

2000 Ford Explorer

mchermok

March, 4, 2012 AT 5:50 PM

Hello!

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer fully loaded. It has the Climate control system, and when I turn on the heat using the AUTOMATIC button, instead of like, the FLOOR button, there is a fairly loud hum noise, and the electric system seems to bog down. If I hit the FLOOR button, it stops. This all while I have the temp set at 90 degrees. Seems to only occur when hitting the AUTOMATIC button.

the sound is kind of a low hum. Almost like a soft noise a car horn would make if the battery was about dead.

Let me know what you think or if you need more info.

Thanks!

March, 4, 2012 AT 8:43 PM

Noise description sounds like it is from the blend door actuators, when motors gets stuck.

Try this to see if you can find anything.
ENTERING SELF-DIAGNOSTICS

Ensure in-car temperature is between 40-90 F (4-32 C).
Turn ignition on.
Simultaneously depress OFF and FLOOR buttons, then press AUTOMATIC button within 2 seconds.
Display will show a pulse tracer going around center of the display window for up to 30 seconds while test is running.
Record all DTCs displayed.

mchermok

March, 7, 2012 AT 1:03 AM

Ok, I will give this a try. So don't actually start the car, just turn it on as far as I can without engaging the starter?

I will try this and record the DTC's.

Thanks, I will let you know what happens.

mchermok

March, 7, 2012 AT 2:01 AM

One other question, while google searching others who had a simliar issue, they usually mention a ' clicking ' sound. Mine doesn't have a clicking sound, but a kind of hummmm If I just hit the FLOOR button, it doesn't do it, just when I hit the Automatic button. I think this 'blend door actuator' you are referring to is behind the glove box on the 2000 Ford Explorer, is that true? You have to remove the glove box insert to get to it? I am looking at the right part?

March, 7, 2012 AT 12:45 PM

Self diagnostic is done with Key On Engine Off.

The part is on top of the A/C plenum and what you described should be the correct part.

Remove the glove box and confirm if the noise is coming from it.

Clicking noise could be due to a stuck link but humming noise could be worn gears inside the actuator.

Replace Heater Core
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911