I think my wheel speed sensor is bad

M8TRIX01
  • 2000 FORD EXCURSION

Hey all its been a while. My question is. I have a 2000 excursion and the abs light is on. Will a bad speed sensor cause my 4 wheel drive not to engage the shift motor? I think my wheel speed sensor is bad and my abs light is on.

Friday, January 13th, 2012 AT 7:29 PM

PROAUTOTECH
  • 298 POSTS

Yes, it will. It compares the speed of the axle vs. Speed of the car to know when to use the ABS. If the speed sensor is not communicating it will come on.

Friday, January 13th, 2012 AT 7:37 PM
M8TRIX01

Ok so the 4 wheel drive won't engage the transfer case if I have a bad wheel sensor?

Saturday, January 14th, 2012 AT 1:02 AM
PROAUTOTECH
  • 298 POSTS

That's not what I heard. I thought the question was will the ABS light come on if the sensor is bad. However, if it's push button 4wd I could see that causing a problem as well. But, typically the most common 4wd not engaging problems I have fixed are due to a bad vacuum line to the transfer case. Is your speed sensor known to be bad?

Saturday, January 14th, 2012 AT 1:09 AM
M8TRIX01

I have code for right sensor fault. I replaced the shift motor last season and it has warn repacement hubs. Now when I put the selector in four wheel it doesn't go. Into four wheel drive.

Saturday, January 14th, 2012 AT 1:19 AM
PROAUTOTECH
  • 298 POSTS

Lets start by replacing the wheel speed sensor, then clear the codes and get back to me. Thanks!

Saturday, January 14th, 2012 AT 1:23 AM