I THINK MY WHEEL SPEED SENSOR IS BAD

2000 Ford Excursion

m8trix01

Hey all its been a while. My question is. I have a 2000 excursion and the abs light is on. Will a bad speed sensor cause my 4 wheel drive not to engage the shift motor? I think my wheel speed sensor is bad and my abs light is on.

ProAutoTech

Yes, it will. It compares the speed of the axle vs. Speed of the car to know when to use the ABS. If the speed sensor is not communicating it will come on.

m8trix01

January, 14, 2012 AT 1:02 AM

Ok so the 4 wheel drive won't engage the transfer case if I have a bad wheel sensor?

ProAutoTech

January, 14, 2012 AT 1:09 AM

That's not what I heard. I thought the question was will the ABS light come on if the sensor is bad. However, if it's push button 4wd I could see that causing a problem as well. But, typically the most common 4wd not engaging problems I have fixed are due to a bad vacuum line to the transfer case. Is your speed sensor known to be bad?

m8trix01

January, 14, 2012 AT 1:19 AM

I have code for right sensor fault. I replaced the shift motor last season and it has warn repacement hubs. Now when I put the selector in four wheel it doesn't go. Into four wheel drive.

ProAutoTech

January, 14, 2012 AT 1:23 AM

Lets start by replacing the wheel speed sensor, then clear the codes and get back to me. Thanks!

ABS Computer Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma