SO MY TRUCK WILL NOT CRANK OR MAKE A SOUND OR ...

• cmercier87
  • 2000 Dodge Ram

So my truck will not crank or make a sound or anything. There is plenty of power the lights come on everything just no turn whatsoever. It was turning a couple days ago now its started snowing and gotten colder out and no more turnover

Wednesday, November 21st, 2012 AT 11:40 PM

• JDL

You really need to make sure the battery has a full charge. Some 2000 dodge rams, you can get trouble codes on the digital odometer. It won't hurt to try. You just turn key till dash lites come on, no crank. Cycle the key on--off, on---off, on, then watch the digital odometer.

Wednesday, November 21st, 2012 AT 11:53 PM
  • JDL

If you jump the proper terminals at the load side of starter relay, the starter should crank. Use jumper between terminal 30 and 87. There are safety issues, make sure the tranny is in park or neutral and the e-brake is set. You have to have good voltage on terminal 30 or it won't work.

Have you tried jumper cables? I looked at r1500.

Thursday, November 22nd, 2012 AT 12:07 AM
  • cmercier87

Its a cummins sorry and both batteries are fully charged

Thursday, November 22nd, 2012 AT 1:59 AM
  • JDL

As far as testing the starter, the info is valid. The brown wire at the starter goes hot with the key in the crank position. The other wire is hot all the time.

If you can't get the starter to crank bypassing everything, take it off and have it tested.

Thursday, November 22nd, 2012 AT 2:25 PM