OIL PRESSURE AND GUAGE

2000 Dodge Durango

lamon 17

May, 18, 2011 AT 4:50 AM

Hi all, it's been a while since I was last on. I have a question about my 2000 dodge durango 5.9 engine. I recently performed an oil change myself and I notice a difference in my oil pressure gauge. Before I changed the oil, when I drive I noticed the pressure guage stayed constant, at 40 (0 being no pressure) (40 being mid pressure) and(110 being high pressure). Even with an increase in rpms the pressure stayed constant at 40. But when I changed the oil I now notice the pressure being rather high at like 95 as I accelerate. Is that normal? I used 10w30 penzoil with an active cleaning ingredient. I'm not sure if it was synthetic oil. Now when I'm idle it stays at 40, and as soon as I accelerate even just a little, the guage start climbing higher. Also, the oil I put in is slightly "only slightly" over the (dont overfill mark). Should I drain some oil out? And is it normal for my oil pressure guage to climb high as I'm driving in traffic? Please Help!

mmprince4000

May, 18, 2011 AT 1:50 PM

The only way to be sure is to have oil pressure checked with a mechanical gauge, if OK, then the sender is bad (most likely) or the gauge is bad (less likely).

The oil "slightly" above full mark is no cause for concern.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevy Silverado
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
 Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Escape
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota