WHY WONT MY FRONT WHEEL DRIVE ENGAGE IN THE WINTER

• JPCORMIER
  • 2000 Chevrolet Silverado

This winter, when I was trying to pull out my snowmobile trailer, my FWD would not kick in---I have replaced the actuator for the transfer case, and I can hear it click in when I use the 4wd drive switch. As the temps got warmer I tried it again, and it seems to have been working, but I'm not 100% sure---how is the fwd switched on? Could it have anything to do with my front hubs?

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 8:58 PM

• rasmataz

Check the transfer case select switch and the front axle actuator switch

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 9:22 PM
  • JPCORMIER

Where is the front axle actuator switch?

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 10:05 PM
  • titen201

I m no expert by any means; I can just tell you what I did to get my FWD running again. I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado, Extended Cab, and Long Bed with 180,000 miles. I bought the truck about one an a half years ago or so, and the FWD didn t work back then. So, last summer I started working on it. I did just as you have done, and looked it up on the internet. I went to a number of different sights hopping I could find a quick fix and save a lot of money. After reading I found things I could do with the help of youtube videos. I did the following: 1. Looked for a blown fuse. I only found one fuse that said FWD, and it was the one on the inside of the cab. Looked good. So that wasn t it.
2. Changed the selector switch. You know the push button thing, in the cab. This wasn t it either.
3. Changed the actuator. Nope not it.
By this time I was not too happy; therefore, I did the unthinkable, I took it to the Chevy Dealer. After all having a FWD truck, but the FWD doesn t work, just don t seem right. Kinda got my feelings hurt when they said $100.00 dollars an hour. No thanks. So, I did without the FWD last winter. Luckily, it wasn t a bad winter.
So, before this winter, I was bound and determined to get it working come hell or high water the things gona work. After replacing all the parts last year and it still didn t work, I knew it had to be electrical.
I found a web site that has all the electrical information for my truck or any vehicle for that matter. It s called alldata. Com. Granted, I did have to pay like $25.00 for a year, but I did it anyway. And, low an behold, there is a fuse. It s not labeled FWD, its labeled ATC. (Automatic Transfer Case) It s under the hood with all the other fuses. So, I don t know what the actual problem was or how the fuse got blown, all I know is after doing all the steps above and replacing this fuse, it s working. I just had to try them all, I guess. Good Luck! And thanks everyone that posted on here. IT WORKED. I don t know which one done it, and don t care. I got my FWD back.

Tuesday, December 4th, 2012 AT 11:55 PM