HOW CAN I REPLACE A DAMAGED KEY CASE?

1999 Volvo S40

AndresB

March, 9, 2012 AT 4:38 AM

My dad has a Volvo S40. The key case is in pretty bad shape even though the chip is still working. Any idea where can I get a replacement for the Key case only? If I get the replacement, would it just be enough to change the chip in the current key case to the new one and have the blade cut? Thank you!

Can't Remove Ignition Key

97 Country Ignition Switch

DrCranknWrench

March, 9, 2012 AT 6:57 AM

Unfortunately you would have to replace the key and have a dealership "Falsh program" all your keys and remote control fobs, if you have any.
So, if you intend to replace it, it is a good time to get spare keys and spare remote fobs as you can buy them for cheap on EBAY. You have to buy them in bulk though. You sometimes have to buy 10 keys, but it is less than $20 and the same for remote fobs too. The real cost is at the dealership when you have them falsh program the keys and fobs. All have to be done at once as the security code will be changed and the cost is expensive. At least several hundred dollars. So, you could have a ton of spares. If you wnet back later you would have to pay the flash program fee again even for just one key. So, it is best to get spares and do them all at one time.

GM Key Fob Programming
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000