THERE I HAVE A VW GOLF MK4 1

1999 Volkswagen Golf

Anonymous

January, 6, 2013 AT 3:47 AM

Hi there I have a vw golf mk4 1.6 8v one day I pulled off at the lights took the car upto abot 4500 rpm went the front wheels slipped on a drain cover I herd a loud bang and the engine sounded like I had removed the air filter (very loud) there was no smoke trail behind me, I pulled over to check and noticed the upper inlet manifold had been forced apart, the engine was idling erratically and making a popping sound which I think is a backfire into the inlet manifold, any ideas what could be the cause of this? Looking forward to your reply thanks

exovcds

January, 6, 2013 AT 5:20 AM

The 1.6 8V is not available here in North America. What type of fuel injection system does it use?

The timing belt possibly slipped causing the valve / piston timing to be out of sync.

Verify your crank / camshaft timing, replace the broken intake and see how she runs. If she still runs rough, do a compression / leakdown test.

Thomas

Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro
Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars