CAR WONT TURNOVER

• jman1987
  • 1999 Vauxhall Astra
  • manual

I went to start my vauxhall astra 1.8 sport t reg and the car wounldnt start up. The engine management keeps flashing and the normal start up lights stay on even when I take the key out the ignition ive had to disconnect the battery so I dont drain that. Could the ignition broke?

Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011 AT 6:50 AM

• mhpautos

I would get the ignition switch checked first.

Mhpautos

Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011 AT 8:10 AM
  • jman1987

Thanks I will try this now fingers crossed

Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011 AT 9:43 AM
  • mhpautos

Let me know how you get on.

Mhpautos

Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011 AT 10:18 AM
  • jman1987

Hiya again sorry to be a pain but how can I tell if it is this problem would there be any phisical signs or would it be better just replacing the switch? Many thanks

Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011 AT 10:47 AM
  • mhpautos

You will have to check the terminals with a test light, to see if power is flowing through the correct terminals as the key is turned, this would be best left for a mechanic to test, a switch may be expensive and you do not want to get one if it is not the problem, always do the diagnosis first, just throwing parts at it in the hope of a fix can get expensive.

Mhpautos

Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011 AT 11:17 AM
  • jman1987

Hiya again I justgot in I found the problem the barrel has snapped so I managed to use the screw driver to try and start it manualy only problem now is it tries starting but wont tick over now not sure what I can do now many thanks

Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011 AT 2:04 PM
  • mhpautos

Are you getting the switch back into the run position? Go fit a new barrel and key, I feel that you are not setting the switch in the run position correctly.

Mhpautos

Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011 AT 9:37 PM