CAR WONT TURNOVER

1999 Vauxhall Astra

jman1987

March, 2, 2011 AT 6:50 AM

I went to start my vauxhall astra 1.8 sport t reg and the car wounldnt start up. The engine management keeps flashing and the normal start up lights stay on even when I take the key out the ignition ive had to disconnect the battery so I dont drain that. Could the ignition broke?

mhpautos

March, 2, 2011 AT 8:10 AM

I would get the ignition switch checked first.

Mhpautos

jman1987

March, 2, 2011 AT 9:43 AM

Thanks I will try this now fingers crossed

mhpautos

March, 2, 2011 AT 10:18 AM

Let me know how you get on.

Mhpautos

jman1987

March, 2, 2011 AT 10:47 AM

Hiya again sorry to be a pain but how can I tell if it is this problem would there be any phisical signs or would it be better just replacing the switch? Many thanks

mhpautos

March, 2, 2011 AT 11:17 AM

You will have to check the terminals with a test light, to see if power is flowing through the correct terminals as the key is turned, this would be best left for a mechanic to test, a switch may be expensive and you do not want to get one if it is not the problem, always do the diagnosis first, just throwing parts at it in the hope of a fix can get expensive.

Mhpautos

jman1987

March, 2, 2011 AT 2:04 PM

Hiya again I justgot in I found the problem the barrel has snapped so I managed to use the screw driver to try and start it manualy only problem now is it tries starting but wont tick over now not sure what I can do now many thanks

mhpautos

March, 2, 2011 AT 9:37 PM

Are you getting the switch back into the run position? Go fit a new barrel and key, I feel that you are not setting the switch in the run position correctly.

Mhpautos

Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000