WHAT YEAR MOTORS CAN I USE TO REPLACE MINE?

• Edweezy21
  • 1999 Saturn SL2

My 1999 Saturn SL2 DOHC 1.9L with a manual transmission broke down because the alternator bracket thats part of the block ripped right off of the car. I brought it to a welding shop and they couldn't fix it and I was told that I need a new motor. What year motors for the SL2 would I be able to use in my 1999?

Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 AT 1:38 PM

• ASEMaster6371

Staurn used that motor a lot in its years. Call a junk yard as they will be able to tell you this info.

Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 AT 2:03 PM
  • Edweezy21

Ok thanks. I wanted to have an idea before I called them that way I wasn't limited to looking at 1 year model but if they should know already then that helps me out. Thanks.

Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 AT 2:17 PM
  • Wrenchtech

They have an interchange book that we don't have access to.

Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 AT 2:18 PM
  • Edweezy21

O ok I never knew that. Thats good to know. Thanks again.

Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 AT 2:36 PM
  • saturntech9

Just to add to this one there going to tell you its just a one year engine. The block pistons crank etc will work 1999-2002 twin cam. Also the single cam 1999-2002 is the same except the single cam doesn't have the windage the twin cam has. Which is bolted right under the crank which you could swap under your motor.I found a saturn factory remanufactored short block for my 1999 saturn sl2 which was a single cam one which I had to swap the windage tray from my old motor. Then I had my head rebuilt new timing chain kit oil pump etc. The short block was bored over with over sized pistions and rings to solve any oil consumption issues. If your intrested in the short block the place does ship. Also the reason the 1999 twin cam is one year is because in 1999 they narrowed the head. Then in 2000-2002 they changed from a alumuim intake manifold to a plastic one.

Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 AT 4:38 PM
  • Edweezy21

I only have about $400 so it all depends on the price. I just need my car to run. I'm not picky. I found a junkyard thats selling the motor for around $300. And I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the windage. Whatever you recommend saturntech9 I'm all ears. You've helped me in the past with this same car and its always come out great because of you.

Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 AT 9:28 PM
  • Wrenchtech

If you are expecting to replace a motor with anything decent/reliable for $400, I'm afraid you are in for a big shock on that. That's a $2000 job at most shops.

Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 AT 9:33 PM
  • Edweezy21

I can do the work myself. I'm a newly graduated mechanic. I don't know everything nor am I certified for anything except HVAC but I can replace a motor. I'm not worried about labor costs since I can do it myself.

Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 AT 9:41 PM
  • saturntech9

That budget your not short blocking it with the saturn short blocks. So what year engine and mikeage for 300?

Friday, August 24th, 2012 AT 1:44 AM
  • Edweezy21

Yea thats what I figured haha but its a 99 motor with around 160,000 miles. Thats 100,000 less than my motor now. What should I check on the newer motor before I drop it in? Any seals or gaskets I should replace. Im probably gonna replace the clutch and components while I'm at it.

Thursday, August 30th, 2012 AT 11:58 PM