ENGINE NOISE

• Josh Ropchan
  • 1999 Saturn SL2

My car makes a clicking sound when it is in gear. It is loudest when it is in reverse. It doesn't usually make the sound in neutral or park, but I can occasionally hear it. It is only making the sound at a slow rate of speed, atleast that's when I can hear it, almost like something is loose. It seems to be burning oil as well. If the car is lifted of jack stands then I can see white smoke coming out the back, not sure if that has anything to do with it, but maybe.

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 10:21 PM

• saturntech9

So when you put it in gear it makes a buzzing noise from the transmission?If so that is normal that would be the actuators that send fluid pressure to engage the different gears As far as the smoking only when jack stands you are tilting the engine and sloshing the oil into different places so anything is possible there. So how much oil do you burn in 3,000 miles?

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 12:30 AM
  • Josh Ropchan

No, it makes a loud clicking noise, not a high pitch noise but a lower souinding click. I thought it might be the timing chain, because it's coming from that area. But it doesn't seem to get louder as I drive. My buddy told me it might be the piston rings, but I don't think so cause why would it be clicking so loud at times. I maybe have to put in around 3-4 quarts of oil between changes, thanks for your help

Friday, January 20th, 2012 AT 2:33 AM
  • saturntech9

You said it makes the clicking noise when in gear thats why I asked if it was coming from the transmission. So the noise is coming from under the valve cover?Your burning a lot of oil saturn spec is 1qt per 2,000 miles. Have you replaced your pcv yet?

Friday, January 20th, 2012 AT 2:39 AM
  • Josh Ropchan

Yes I have replaced the pvc, it sounds like something from under the valve cover area

Saturday, January 21st, 2012 AT 10:00 PM
  • saturntech9

If the noise is under the valve cover its ethier lifters or the timing chain. If you pop off the valve cover you can see if its the chain. Look for slack in the chain at the top guide and also the side timing chain guides.

Sunday, January 22nd, 2012 AT 5:25 PM
  • Josh Ropchan

What if i'm wrong with the location of the noise and it's coming from behind the engine block. You were mentioning the noise coming from the transmission, and recently I have been driving the car alot more trying to figure out the noise and I have realized that the car has a hard time switching gears, at like 35 mphs it will be in 2nd wanting to shift into 3rd but it wont. The rpms will stay high at it will sit in 2nd. Unless I bring the speed up to like 4o or more and then let off the gas it will finally switch into 3rd and then I can bring my speed down again but while in 3rd gear. I'm just kind of curious if that might be where my noise is coming from cause it is extremely noises in reverse. And the car idoles really rough, it shakes all over the place and it is really rough and noisy on the start up. I will check the timing chain though as well, thanks

Sunday, January 22nd, 2012 AT 7:34 PM
  • saturntech9

Is the engine actual running rough rpms bouncing all over the place?Or is there just vibration?Also when putting it in reverse you will get a loud cluncking noise that is the reverse servo piston moving the reverse servo fork and and sleeve. Also the noise iam talking about from the transmission would only be in gear and its a buzzing noise. It would be below the battery.

Sunday, January 22nd, 2012 AT 9:41 PM
  • Josh Ropchan

There is just alot of vibration. There isn't much a clunk noise as there is a rattle when I go in reverse. No the noise isn't from under the battery at all, the opposite side of the engine. I'm still going to check the timing chain and see if it's loose. It's strange though cause sometimes the noise will go away. Like over the weekend the car wasn't makeing the noise much just vibrating alot. I feel like when the car has plenty of oil it seems to run rough like that, but when it gets low on oil it starts to make the clicking noise.

Monday, January 23rd, 2012 AT 10:10 PM
  • saturntech9

The clicking from being low on oil is caused by the lifters not having the oil to keep them pumped up. So does the vibration get a lot worse when its in drive?

Tuesday, January 24th, 2012 AT 3:20 AM
  • Josh Ropchan

Yes the vibration is alot worse when in drive

Tuesday, January 24th, 2012 AT 3:54 AM