I do have noise I belive from steerin column may be is not?

ALEX D
  • 1999 SATURN SL1

Hi, Car Pros. I need your help. I have Saturn 1999 sl1 Sohs eng. When I start my car every day and turn steering weal and drive 10 feet I have cranked noise. I can drive my car for 2-3 hours turn left, right not any noise, After 2-3 hours I stop my car turn off engine for 5 min. I can here noise when, I drive my car. Don't know haw describe thet noise bat this is not from steering pump, I know that noise haw it sound. Please help me if you have any idea. Thanks Alex.

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 8:36 PM

What about the upper strut mounts? Hold your fingertips lightly on the top of one of the front coil springs, then have a helper slowly turn the steering wheel. The spring should turn smoothly with the wheel. If you feel it wind up, then suddenly snap free and rotate, the upper mount is sticking. That isn't serious in itself but as it gets worse it will prevent the steering wheel and system from self-centering itself after a turn. That can be real irritating.

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 8:42 PM
SATURNTECH9

Just to add to this one thats a good thing to check carardiodoc on that year range of the S model saturns I have seen a few very common issues of making noise while turning the seal around the shaft that goes into the rack and pion causing a high pitch like running your fingernail on a nylon jacket. Also the air bag coil if the steering wheel was put on too far causing the coil to make a similar noise. The bottom steering wheel cover rubbing on the steering column cover shrouds. Last but not least the upper engine mount colasped and or torn causing causing a vibration rattle type noise as you turn the wheel. When its that the noise usually gets less noticable the hotter the engine gets.

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 9:07 PM
ALEX D

I have change left and right strat mounts in may 2011. Bat that noise is only when I start turn to the left then I drive my car it no problem at all. I can turn left right car it ok. Then I stop for about 5 min. And turn engine start drive about 10 feet I can heare that noise. Thanks Alex.

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 9:22 PM
ALEX D

Hi, how can I check carardiodoc on that year range of the S model saturns? Please if U can help. Thanks Alex.

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 9:31 PM
SATURNTECH9

That sounds just like a colasped or torn upper engine mount. Its right between the valve cover and coolant bottle see if it looks colapsed or torn. Let me know what you find.

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 9:32 PM
ALEX D

If U think this is upper engine mount, why when I drive I don't have any problem only at start up. Thanks Alex.

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 9:40 PM
SATURNTECH9

From what you describe it sounds like that mount its on the right side when you turn left things shift to the left if there is play in the mount the mount can lift and have more play in the mount. Also when you turn the wheel you put more stress on the engine because the power steering pump is putting demand on the engine. The engine probably vibrates excessively and you didn't notice it because it got worse gradually over time. Iam not here to argue why its this or that iam just her donating my time to help people out with problems with there cars. Open hood and let me know how the mount looks and we will go from there if its not that then we will keep looking till we find it.

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 9:52 PM
ALEX D

Thanks I will take a look. Thanks Alex.

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 9:55 PM
ALEX D

I have check upper mount it is ok

Tuesday, August 30th, 2011 AT 1:37 AM
SATURNTECH9

Alright I need a lot more details now so you can hear it only while turning left?While moving and turning?Or at a stop and turning?We also need to find out if the noise is inside or outside?

Tuesday, August 30th, 2011 AT 1:53 AM