WHY IS IT SUDDENLY SHIFTING HARD?

1999 Saturn SC1

PastorDEn

December, 29, 2011 AT 7:21 PM

5-speed manual. It suddenly shifts hard. The shifter is stiff, sometimes it won't go in certain gears. For example it might not go into reverse but the other gears are fine. Next time reverse is fine and it doesn't like 1st etc. The clutch pedal seems fine. I replaced the engine about 1000 miles ago. When I examined the clutch and pressure plate it appeared to be in good condition and I replaced them about two years ago, so I did not replace it this time. The car does not lurch but sometimes grinds not wanting to go into a gear.

When I replaced the engine I replaced the fluid in the transmission too. After the engine change everything was great.

saturntech9

December, 29, 2011 AT 7:32 PM

So is the clutch pedal hard going all the way down?Or does it drop some then get hard?Also the floor mat isnt under the clutch where it meets the carpet is it?

PastorDEn

December, 30, 2011 AT 12:59 AM

The clutch seems to work fine.

saturntech9

December, 30, 2011 AT 2:42 AM

If it grinds or is hard to get into all the gears its the clutch hydralics or the clutch itself. If you say the hydralics are which iam not there to see if they are then you have a pressure plate clutch disc issue. If it were only in like 1st gear then you would have a syncronizer issue inside the transmission.

Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Axle Seal Replacement