SAAB RADIO "LOCKED OUT"

• raybobwatson
  • 1999 SAAB 9-3
  • manual

I have a '99 Saab 9-3 that had a blown out radio. I rescued one from a wrecked car and it will only play for about 10 seconds before the display reads "radio locked". Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

Saturday, June 25th, 2011 AT 12:17 AM

• caradiodoc

Visit the dealer. To save time, write the serial number down so they don't have to pull the radio. They might also have a way to retrieve a code that can be translated when they call their secret phone number. They also might require a receipt for the radio or proof of ownership.

These codes are designed to make the manufacturer money. They don't do very much to benefit the owner. Be thankful you don't have a Volkswagen. If the owner doesn't know the code for that radio, it will never play again once the battery has been disconnected or run dead. The fix is a new radio. Got'cha.

Saturday, June 25th, 2011 AT 2:01 AM
  • mnthny4
  • 616 posts

Did u get the vin number from the vehicle u got the radio from, note u will need it very important, dealer can't help u without it, because they will need to input that vin in your car to unlock radio, then marry it to your vin, if your car was older then u only need to get the radio code which is a free service from your dealer, good luck.

Thursday, June 30th, 2011 AT 2:41 PM