ENGINE IS BACKFIRING THROUGH MANIFOLD DOES ...

1999 Plymouth Voyager

stephenaudsley

December, 12, 2012 AT 2:49 AM

Engine is backfiring through manifold does notseem to be running on all cylinders its a 6 cylinder 3.3 L it also seems to be flooding. Or running rich can not drive it only starts with the gas pedal to the floor
heres what happened drove van it was running great, parked it for 2hrs. Then started it up. Then it was not running right. Was missfiring. Shooting out black smoke. Took to a shop who changed the plugs and told me they do not know whats wrong, I did a coil test that was fine. Put a cam sensor in too. Still no codes?

December, 12, 2012 AT 2:53 AM

Did you do the compression test? You have to start with basics to find out the issue

stephenaudsley

December, 12, 2012 AT 3:10 AM

Did not think that the compression would change while parked, there was no loss of power befor that, not low on oil either . Also I figured the shop did that while they had it all apart to change the plugs. If the compression is ok what would be the next issue that gives no codes?

stephenaudsley

December, 12, 2012 AT 3:13 AM

It allmost seems like it firing at the wrong time While the inlet valve is open

December, 12, 2012 AT 3:13 AM

Codes are only for fuel controls. You have a basic engine issue that does not code.

It changed from something happening in the motor. I know you want an easy answer but you need to start with basics. We cannot see or here it or touch it, we have very limited info that you gave us with not much to go on.

stephenaudsley

December, 12, 2012 AT 4:11 AM

Do not have a compression tester right now. I tried pulling off each plug wire at the coil to see if I could find a bad cylinder but made no difference. Plugs seem to be fouled with gas some covered with black soot too. Thick black smoke and soot coming out of exhaust like a choke is on. Disconected map sensor then the engine would not fire at all. Pulled front injectors 2/4/6 one at a time to see if they were malfuntioning no difference. Tried removing fuel filter relay, spraying cab cleaner in to intake to see if the injectors are firing at the wrong time still will not run now have some gas in the oil that means too much gas or not firing. Then I am back to what is making the plugs fire at the wrong time. Getting a good spark and there is fuel either the injectors are firing at the wrong time or the plugs are firing at the wrong time. Or both are firing at the wrong time. Tomorrow I will check the compression but if its ok what else could it be?

Brake Master Cylinder Replacement Like a Pro
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement