IM HEARING A CLUNKING NOISE FROM THE FRONT ...

1999 Plymouth Breeze

Anonymous

October, 16, 2012 AT 10:14 PM

I'm hearing a clunking noise from the front drivers side tire when I go over bumps and when I apply brakes and all the cars weight is shifted to the front end.I put new struts on and I'm still hearing this noise. What could it be?

caradiodoc

October, 16, 2012 AT 10:37 PM

Struts are only one of dozens of possibilities, and one of the least likely. Whoever installed the struts should have done an inspection, especially if you brought the car in with that noise complaint. If you just told them you wanted new struts, they likely just did the requested work and didn't pay any attention to the noise.

An alignment is needed when struts are replaced, and that also necessitates a full inspection. There's no way for a wheel to stay in specs with worn parts. In particular, tie rod ends and ball joints are the most common things to make noise. Anti-sway bar links and loose brake pads can do that too. Loose brake pads don't hurt anything and they will become quiet when you hold light pressure on the brake pedal.

Leaf-Spring Squeak Repair - All Cars
Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement Honda
Sway Bar Link Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Sway Bar Link Replacement Subaru Legacy