WILL A DIGNOSTIC TEST TELL ME IF THE TRANSMISSION NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED? HOW LONG DOES THE TEST TAKE?

1999 All Other Makes All Other Models

Rassouli

December, 2, 2011 AT 2:26 AM

1999 Jeep Wrangler, straight 6, 4 liter. I put in a rotor, plugs, sparks, wires, air filter, and AC switch. (Needs) an ac compressor w/ clutch ok. Then I was driving, stopped at a stop sign, stepped on the gas to go. It spun. Had to put it in reverse and then drive and drove home. Changed the trans filter and trans solinod and fluid. It was not burnt ok. Doesn't slip while cold, slips when warmed up in drive, not 1st, 2nd, or reverse. Added a non-gear slipping agent. Still spins. Call for an appt for testing. The guy said it would take 3 hours (what) its a computer! I would actually like to know what does a dignostic test tell you and why 3 hours.I'm a female and I think these guys see money. Please help asap its my ride and I don't want to be ripped off. Low miles so I'm shock on the transmission issue.

Jacobandnickolas

December, 2, 2011 AT 3:18 AM

It really matters what he is checking. If the check engine light has come on, there will be trouble codes stored in the computer. That will take all of 5 minutes to check. However, if he is checking sensors, solenoids. He could have hours into it. As far as the slipping, when does it slipp? You saind not 1st, 2nd, or rev. Is it only 3rd and above?

Rassouli

December, 2, 2011 AT 3:50 AM

No engine light --never mentioned it. I have park, reverse, drive, 1st 2nd. The drive gear is the one slipping after I get the car warmed up. So can an engine dignostic tell if the transmission needs to be repaired?

Jacobandnickolas

December, 2, 2011 AT 4:51 AM

If you are lucky, there will be a trans trouble code stored in the computer that will identify where the problem is coming from. If there isn't one, then each item needs checked and it can take some time.