SMOKING AND SPUTTERING

1999 Nissan Maxima

chumleypm

March, 23, 2012 AT 12:01 PM

My 99 maxima has been losing power and smoking from the bottom of the engine for a couple of days, I was told that it could be the cat converter. It uses no oil or water and doesnt overheat. When I got home from work I noticed that there was a fire underneath my engine and this is why the smoking. I put it out, any ideas what it could be? The smoke is white and sweet smelling but the car doesnt use any water or antifreeze, also it sputters before it smokes and my brake and battery lights come on the dash. Thanks.

March, 23, 2012 AT 1:00 PM

You have a bad misfiring with the engine and this misfiring is turning the catalytic converter red hot due to unburnt fuel getting to it.

You need to get this problem resolved asap or risk losing the catalytic converter, if it has not already been damaged, or worse, getting roasted in the vehicle when it turns into an inferno.