. MY 1999 1.5LTR ALMERA WAS HAVING STARTING ...

1999 Nissan Almera

jackbetal

May, 1, 2011 AT 12:30 AM

Hi.
My 1999 1.5ltr Almera was having starting problems until it eventually wouldn't start anymore. I got it towed to my mechanic where I got a new starter motor put in. The problem now is that after this has been fixed the car will start perfectly but it is revving up and down. It revs to around 1500 and down again. My mechanic has now told m that this could either be a simple diagnostics problem whereby if I take it to the main dealer they can recalibrate the throttle position sensor. If that does not work he said it may be that the throttle needs changing. This was not a problem before I had the starter changed. Is it possible that the mechanic damaged this whilst working on the starter or may I have damaged it by not having the starter repaired before it completely cut out? Or is it just plain bad luck?
Thank you very much for your time.
Jack

merlin2021

May, 1, 2011 AT 1:31 AM

Sounds like bad luck unless he pulled a vacuum line off. Use spray throttle cleaner and spray vac lines and manifold. If idle speed changes you found a leak. You could also try removing the negative battery cable for a few minutes this will clear the memory allowing the computer to relearn it's operating perameters. Is the check engine light on?

jackbetal

May, 1, 2011 AT 11:32 PM

The check engine light is not on. He already has said to me that he cleaned it out. Would it be difficult for him to pull a vacuum line off without knowing?

merlin2021

May, 3, 2011 AT 7:32 AM

If he leaned into the engine bay he may have broken one off, they tend to get brittle with age.

jackbetal

May, 3, 2011 AT 1:17 PM

Thanks for your help Merlin2021. Much appreciated.

merlin2021

May, 3, 2011 AT 3:29 PM

Let me know how you make out.

merlin2021

May, 3, 2011 AT 7:49 PM

The other thing after the battery cable is diconnected, you may need nissan to do am idle relearn with their scan tool.

TPS Sensor Step by Step Replacement Guide