INTERESTED IN LESS EXPENSIVE WAY TO PERHAPS DIAGNOSE AND FIX "HESITATION" WHILE DRIVING AT CERTAIN SPEEDS?

1999 Mercury Villager

chef1

June, 30, 2012 AT 5:53 PM

Coming from picking my son up at camp. On way home noticed a "shuddering" as I was driving. My car is 13 years old with alot of miles. On limited income so new car is not option. Bought in to get check engine light read. The following codes were given:

P0138
P1336
P0300
P0325

Not sure what all means, when I began to call around most mechanics want 100 dollars to diagnose on top of repair. I am looking for less expensive options if any at first. Because of the misfire I thought to start with new plugs. I did have a complete tune up 1 1/2 years ago. Could and should that be the starting point to at least address the hesitation?

Docfixit

June, 30, 2012 AT 6:05 PM

Without checking out and doing diagnosis would start with replaceing Crankshaft position sensor see diagram

Bravestar1

July, 23, 2012 AT 6:21 AM

I looked at this question earlier, and someone said to me, that a car can't run without the crankshaft sensor. Is that true? I have this same screwy problem, where it misses now and then, and shudders on occasion too.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma