IS MY STARTER SOLENOID BAD?

1999 Mercury Mystique

samhowell

September, 22, 2012 AT 2:30 PM

I have a 1999 Mercury Mystique V6 and out of no where my car wouldnt start, no clicking sound what so ever my radio and lights come on fine, and I have a brand new battery only a few months old, I tried to jump it and I had plenty of power just wont turn over. I have recently replaced my neutral safety switch due to jerking issues which came back before my car stopped starting. Could these two issues be related? A co worker attempted to jump start my starter with a hammer and it makes the sound it should but when I put the key in the ignition and crank it, it still wont make the clicking sound could my solenoid be bad?

samhowell

September, 22, 2012 AT 2:45 PM

FYI the error codes coming up before the car wouldn't start were: 0708 1131 1151

DrCranknWrench

September, 22, 2012 AT 2:47 PM

If your co-worker was hitting witha hammer and it moved the strarter is probably bad. Take it to an Advance Auto ro Auto Zone and they will test it for free.

samhowell

September, 22, 2012 AT 5:27 PM

Ok I will try that that, the down side is this engine is really tight the starters a tad hard to get to.

DrCranknWrench

September, 22, 2012 AT 8:46 PM

Well, it is almost a sure thing that if it turns when you hit it with a hammer it is ceized. It has just let a bearing go or a brush has come out of place. If your looking for a really good place to go online to get a replacement, www. Rockauto. Com is a closout site that has unreal prices on name brand stuff. They sell out real fast on the best deals though, it is a good thing to check it daily for the best deals. I got a $250 wiper motor for $40 shipped.

Starter Solenoid Need Replacing?
Starter Replacement
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000