OIL PRESSURE GAUGE ACTS ERRATICALLY

1999 Jeep Wrangler

2CarPros-Archives

December, 9, 2010 AT 12:45 AM

1999 Jeep Wrangler mileage: 120,000. When I drive my Jeep on long trips, after about a hundred and twenty miles, the oil pressure gauge starts acting erratically. The Jeep runs fine but the oil pressure gauge pulsates randomly between Zero and Forty. It only does this on the highway and after about 2 hours of driving. All other gauges seem OK it's just the oil pressure. This gauge drops causes the "check gauges" light to come on.

2CarPros-Archives

December, 9, 2010 AT 12:53 AM

You either have a faulty gauge in the dash or internal engine oil pressure problems. To check this, connect a temporary mechanical gauge to the engine. Drive the car on the highway as you did when the problem occurred. Watch the mechanical gauge and if it does not fluctuate, then you know you have a faulty gauge or sending unit. If it does fluctuate, you have internal engine oil pressure problems.

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe
Oil and Filter Replacement BMW M5 2005-2010
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Dodge Ram
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW X5