BLEW A FREEZE PLUG

1999 Jeep Wrangler

carlaashcraft

July, 30, 2012 AT 11:19 PM

After having radiator replaced, the mechanic told me that it blew a freeze plug and would be an additional 900.00 Can this be true? The freeze plug was fine prior to replacing the radiator.

July, 31, 2012 AT 1:24 AM

How do you know it was ok before the repair if it already had a coolant leak? Just playing devils advocate here

July, 31, 2012 AT 4:44 AM

OF COURSE YOU WANT TO SEE IT!

SHOW ME IN AN INSPECTION MIRROR!

SHOW ME (AND MY AUTOMOTIVE KNOWLEDGEABLE FRIEND).I WILL LOOK FOR TOOL MARKS (TAMPERING). IF ANY (BEFORE I GIVE THE GO AHEAD ON A REPAIR

I WOULD ALSO CALL FOR A SECOND/THIRD/FOURTH OPINION---GIVE THEM YOUR ENGINE SIZE AND THE POSITION/LOCATION OF THE FREEZE PLUG IN QUESTION

IF YOU CAN GET A BETTER PRICE (I KNOW FELLERS AROUND HERE WOULD DO IT FOR $300 OR SO, AND THAT'S IF THEY HAVE TO REMOVE THE HEAD ON A 4.0L). SHUCKS, IT MAY BE EZ AND VERY ACCESSIBLE. YOU MIGHT COME OUT AHEAD PAYING TO TOW IT ELSEWHERE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU FEEL YOU HAVE BEEN. WELL. VIOLATED!

Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Corolla
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mazda 3
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW 5 Series
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota