99 GRANDCHEROKEE STALL WHEN TURNING ON, FUEL GAGE READS GAS WRONG WHEN IT HITS LOWER THEN QUARTER

1999 Jeep Laredo

99 grandcherokee laredo

June, 25, 2012 AT 1:14 AM

My jeep stalls when I try to turn it on, I can turn the key a few times and it will only stall for about a few seconds as opposed to 10 or 15 if I dont, I was driving down the road and it stopped running about a month ago, put gas and had no effect, found out it was the fuel pump and got it replaced, but about a week later after having the fuel pump replaced it started stalling when I turned it on, and a few days after it started to stall my car got just a little under a quarter of gas and it stopped running, I put gas in it and worked just fine, It even went till the light turned on without running out of gas, but I filled it up and this time half way thru my last quater it went out( marking a different spot on gas gauge from the previous time it ran out ), I put gas and it was working again, but it still stalls and I dont ever let it go anywhere under or close to a quarter of gas now, and just last night my check engine light came on and today it turned off. Can anybody tell me what the problem is and how much $$ it cost to fix?

It's also been really really bad on gas since that started, I know somebody that had a hummer and always complaid about his car using to much gas when actually I think mine has been worst since the stalling started.

June, 25, 2012 AT 1:57 AM

Even though you have a newer fuel pump, the pump sounds like it has failed due to you running out of fuel. It is like running an engine without oil.

Start with a fuel pressure test.

Get the code and get back to us to further help you.

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i
Fuel Filters Replacement 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Fuel Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right