STEERING CATCHING

1999 GMC Yukon

doninfosys

December, 7, 2011 AT 7:34 PM

I have an '99 Yukon SXT 1500 4WD. Especially at higher highway speeds, there is a "grab" when steering to the right. It was much more pronounced but I have since purchased new tires and installed new shocks along with a front end alignment. The alignment helped the most but the problem still exits. At this point I'm thinking valve issue or steering box. Any suggestions to help diagnose the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Jacobandnickolas

December, 7, 2011 AT 8:40 PM

Is the steering overly sensitive?

doninfosys

December, 7, 2011 AT 11:13 PM

No, responsiveness is typical, escept when it catches and the steering wheel 'jumps' about 3 inches when slight pressure is placed on the steering wheel. FYI, the gear box and idler arm have been replaced.

Jacobandnickolas

December, 8, 2011 AT 3:18 AM

There is a sensor in the steering column. I'm sorry but I can't remember its name; however, it is designed to provide power assist based on vehicle speed. It can either make the steering really sensitive or hard. When they start going bad, they do it randomly when light steering is needed.

doninfosys

December, 9, 2011 AT 5:46 PM

I checked for the steering speed sensor in the column under the dash. There is none attached. Is that optional or did all 99 Yukons have them?

Jacobandnickolas

December, 9, 2011 AT 5:53 PM

I thought that was standard.

Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Pump Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Steering Pump Replacement Mercedes Benz
Replace Tie Rod End